Location: Portland, ME
Unum is a company of people serving people. As one of the world’s leading employee benefits providers and a Fortune 500 company, Unum helps protect more than 25 million working people and their families in the event of illness or injury. Colonial Life is a member of the Unum family of businesses and is a market leader in benefit solutions, specializing in personal insurance products offered to employees in the workplace.
Headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee, Unum has significant U.S. operations in Portland, Maine, Worcester, Massachusetts and Glendale, California with over 35 field offices nationwide. Colonial Life is headquartered in Columbia, South Carolina with over 40 field offices nationwide.
This position can report to Manager level to Vice President and is responsible for effective use of their time and providing administrative support. May provide administrative support to staff. Requires knowledge of work performed in department.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Prioritizes and maintains calendar for manager, negotiating scheduling/timing of appointments
- Properly prepares manager for meetings
- Prepares reports and other materials in response to inquiries from manager or others
- Prepares budgets, including researching and estimating administrative expenses, develops format for tracking expenses, analyzes and researches discrepancies
- Develops travel itinerary
- Drafts memos, letters; screens incoming and outgoing communications, independently handles responses for managers
- Performs administrative duties, such as answering/screening phone calls, scheduling meetings, sorting and distributing mail, ordering and maintaining supplies, developing and maintaining filing system for department, completing and submitting check requests
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent work experience
- Some administrative assistant experience preferred
- Good PC skills (knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work well with all levels of management
- Good customer service skills
- Good organizational skills
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework
Unum and its family of businesses offer world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum and its family of businesses is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.