Customer Service Specialist I
Location: Portland, ME
We are a forward-thinking Fortune 500 company and the marketplace leader in disability-based products and return to work services. We are a company of people serving people. At Unum, our employees truly make a difference, in the lives of our customers, our local communities and in the success of our company.
Click on the link below to see a short video!
This is the entry level position of a two level career path. The incumbent is responsible for providing critical and accurate information on benefits, claims and/or policy administration. All work is carefully performed according to established protocols/procedures. As the first point of contact and a direct representation of the Unum/Colonial brand, this position is responsible for the execution of exceptional customer satisfaction by acting in the best interest of the customer; ensuring information is accurate, applying empathy to those situations that require special care and concern. Customer issue resolution is a priority - issues should be resolved on the first call whenever possible.
This position requires the use of multiple system applications and administrative processes. While service is focused on our external customers, this position is responsible for creating detailed/appropriate documentation for our internal cross-functional business partners.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Respond to external customers inquiries with timely and accurate information.
- Follow all documented processes/workflow to enhance customer service and reduce customer effort/operating efficiency.
- Meet or exceed individual performance goals which contribute to the overall goals of the department.
- Utilize resources and tools to accurately respond to customer inquiries.
- Accurately navigate through specific system platforms.
- Meet the expectations of the quality/productivity standards.
- Share recommended process improvements to enhance customer service and/or efficiency.
- Continuously acquire knowledge and understanding of the business functions that the role supports.
- Ensure privacy of our customers remains the utmost importance.
- Shifts may vary outside the standard 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent, relevant business experience required.
- Strong customer service orientation with demonstrated commitment to meet/exceed customer needs.
- Strong verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, structured environment, handling large call volumes.
- Ability to make sound business decisions, which balance customer satisfaction and financial integrity.
- Computer proficiency essential.
- Self-directed with the ability to perform both as part of team and individually.
- Ability to adapt and work effectively in a continuously changing environment.
- Solution oriented individual demonstrating critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to seek out developmental opportunities and continuously improve skills/performance.
- Consistently demonstrate a high level of professionalism through a strong worth ethic that positively influences the work habits of the team.
- Detail oriented with a focus on quality and consistently meeting goals.
- Meets the standards for this position, as defined in the Talent Management framework.
Unum offers world-class training and development, generous compensation and benefits packages, and a culture built on employee ideas.
Unum is an equal opportunity employer, considering all qualified applicants and employees for hiring, placement, and advancement, without regard to a person's race, color, religion, national origin, age, genetic information, military status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or protected veteran status.